Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce

9:45 PM

Pages: 336
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 9780316243599
Genre: Fairytale Retelling

Review by Phil

Synopsis (Goodreads.com):


Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together.

But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough.

If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him?

Jackson Pearce, author of the acclaimed SISTERS RED and FATHOMLESS, has returned with a unique vision of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen,” one about power and redemption, failure and hope, and the true meaning of strength.

My Thoughts (Spoiler Free)

Cold Spell...just wow. Another great one from Jackson Pearce.

I think we all know by now the hard core crush I have on Jackson Pearce. Not only is she an amazing writer, but she is witty, funny, and beautiful, seriously I can't even handle it sometimes. (Jackson if your reading this I am not as creepy as this review sounds, I promise). But because of my love for everything Pearce, it is needless to say that this book was my most anticipated read of 2013.

Pearce has done it again, for the fourth time! Progressively this series gets better and better. While I do not know if this is the last book of fairytale retellings, I sure hope it isn't! There are still so many hits she hasn't retold yet! I mean I would love to see a Beauty and the Beast retelling where maybe the main character actually falls in love with  a Fenris?! How that would happen I have no idea but it would be awesome! I mean there really are no limits with this series, any fairytale, whether it be Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, or even Rumpelstilskin, Pearce would retell beautifully! But I am getting distracted, let me talk about Cold Spell now.

Cold Spell has everything and more that its three predecessors had. It has action, romance, fantasy, and fairytale all wrapped into one. But unlike the other three books in the series, it is only told from one perspective. At first I didn't know how I felt about that, seeing how all three of the other books had two characters telling the story, but I regret ever doubting Pearce's talents, because this book was amazing.

Ginny and Kai are probably my favorite couple of the series, seeing as how totally devoted they are to each other. I like how there was no beating around the bush with these two, from the second the book starts you know how much they love each other, and you know how far they would go to save one another. 

Mora also has to be my favorite villain in the series, seeing as she is really just a tortured soul, forced into a life she didn't want, and forced away from the man she loved. Now she steals musicians, artists, and poets, in order to fill the gap in her heart. Mora didn't steal Kai because she was greedy, but because she was lonely, and I really appreciated that little twist, actually making me feel bad for the villain. 

I really hope this isn't the end to this series, but if it is, it finished with a bang! I am going to do something I have never done on the blog before and actually give Cold Spell 6/5 stars, just because I didn't think 5 was enough! Also just real quick I want to thank Brad from BookYAreview for snagging me an ARC of this when he was at ALA, thanks Brad! Cold Spell comes out on November 5th 2013, and I will most likely be re-posting this sooner to that date!

♚♚♚♚♚♚

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images