PODS by Michelle K Pickett

8:00 PM

Pages: 312
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
ISBN: 9781937053284
Genre: YA Dystopian

Review by Phil

Synopsis(Goodreads.com):

Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul.

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters.

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.

My Thoughts (Spoiler Free)

I requested an ARC for this book from the publisher for two reasons. 1) Because it just seemed like it would be really awesome and amazing. 2) I have seen the Author, Michelle Pickett's Youtube channel and she seems like the biggest sweetheart! So when I got this in the mail, I kind of squealed (I know masculine me, but whatever, I was THAT excited for this book).

I was blown away by this debut novel from Michelle Pickett! Rather then feeling like I was reading a book, I actually sometimes felt like I was actually watching the characters' lives progress; it was kind of weird! The emotions that Eva felt were so raw and real, and I think Michelle really captured the emotions that one would be feeling in a post apocalyptic world. But now that I think about it, this book has done something that a lot of YA hasn't done yet, and that was take you from the beginning of the apocalypse and show the stages that one would go through if something like a mass plague were to happen. 

I really love that this book takes place over years, rather then weeks or months. You don't see it too often in YA because it is kind of a risky choice, but Michelle pulls it off seamlessly. You meet Eva the day before she learns about the plague that is soon to take over the world, you see her when she is chosen to live inside the PODs, her life in the PODs, and then her life after, a process which I am assuming takes place a little under two years. I think it is very telling of the Author, that she was able to plan out not only weeks of progression and dialogue, but years! Also because she wrote in years rather then weeks, there was no insta-love which is always a plus!

Before giving my rating, I would like to point out that I think this book could be classified under YA Horror, rather than Dystopian, only because I was finding myself very scared at some points! Seriously some of the detail during Eva's quarantine is gruesome! 

PODs may very well be one of the next big things in YA, so I am very happy to have been one of the ones that was part of the beginning of it all! Congrats Michelle on your YA debut and I am looking forward to more by you! 

I gave PODs a well deserved 5/5 stars
♚♚♚

PODs comes out on June 4th 2013! Pre-order your copy here: Barnes and Noble / Amazon


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images