Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

7:56 PM


Pages: 221
Publisher: First Second
ISBN13: 9781596437135
Genre: Graphic Novel

Review by Geraldine

Synopsis (Goodreads.com): 
Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part...

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.


My Thoughts (Spoiler-Free):

Going into this graphic novel, I didn't know much about it. All I had ever seen was the cover here and there floating around Goodreads. The cover was such a catch that when I was in the library, I had noticed it on the shelve and immediately picked it up! I'm so glad I did because this was such an enjoyable read!

The main character, Anya was different from a lot of characters I've come across in the past. For one, she wasn't your typical skinny blond girl. She was curvy and foreign. Yes, foreign and Russian! The whole Russian aspect gave Anya a little more umph and I think that was the main reason why I felt like her character was really well developed. Even when it came to the minor characters, I was happily given enough information and character development to where I felt like I knew them.

The illustrations were beautiful! I really enjoyed the whole color concept that the author had going on! The dialog was really well written and went perfectly with the illustrations as well. But most of all, I loved how she wrote from a Russian immigrant's point of view; it really added a lot to the storyline!

There wasn't much to dislike about this book except the rare occasions where the author threw in things that had nothing to do with the story here and there (they were fun to read though so I didn't mind that much).

Again, like I said awesome illustrations and not your typical protagonist...I mean c'mon she's Russian!

I definitely recommend this one for all of your graphic novel lovers! 4 stars!
♛♛♛

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images