The Vampire's Assistant by Darren Shan

10:10 PM

Pages: 241
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 9780316606844
Genre: Gruesome Middle Grade


Review by Phil


Synopsis(Goodreads.com):

Darren Shan was just an ordinary schoolboy until his visit to the Cirque Du Freak. Now, as he struggles with his new life as a Vampire's Assistant, he tries desperately to resist the one temptation that sickens him, the one thing that can keep him alive. But destiny is calling. The Wolf Man is waiting.

My Thoughts (Spoiler Free):

I didn't review the first book in this series for a reason; I really disliked it. The first book in this series owns the title of my lowest rated book I've read in 2013. The number one reason I dislike these books so much is that it is classified as YA, and this is one of the most juvenile middle grade books I have ever read. The reason it is classified as YA is that the books have one gruesome fight in each of them. But other then that, the dialogue is simplistic, the characters are bland, the storyline has almost no development at all, and there are so many chapters that have nothing to do with the inner "plot" of the book.

Despite all of its problems, I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one; it wasn't totally atrocious. Evra is introduced, and I actually liked him as a character. He was one of the only things I liked about the book. Other than that, it was bleh. I really don't have much to say, except that I probably won't be picking up the rest of the books in this series unless I see them for super cheap online, and there is nothing else better to buy.

I gave A Living Nightmare 3/5 stars. It wasn't amazing, it wasn't horrible, it was just blegh; so I should probably give it 2, but I am feeling generous. 


♚♚♚♔♔




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. You should check out the movie, it's quite groovy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images