Ink by Amanda Sun

1:58 PM

Pages: 377
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
ISBN13: 9780373210718
Genre: YA Adventure/Romance

Review by Phil

Synopsis(Goodreads.com):
I looked down at the paper, still touching the tip of my shoe. I reached for it, flipping the page over to look.

Scrawls of ink outlined a drawing of a girl lying on a bench.

A sick feeling started to twist in my stomach, like motion sickness.

And then the girl in the drawing turned her head, and her inky eyes glared straight into mine.


On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.


My Thoughts (Spoiler Free)

Ink was one of my most anticipated reads of 2013 by far, so needless to say my expectations for this book were VERY high. Being a self-confessed former Otaku (Anime/Manga aficionado), and just having a love for Japanese culture and setting, I knew before even reading this that this book was going to be amazing. I was lucky enough to snag an ARC of this book at BEA (Book Expo America) and it literally was the first thing I read when I got home.

Ink centers around a teenage girl name Katie Green. Katie's mother has recently died, and in her mothers will she leaves Katie to her sister who lives in Shizuoka, Japan. A lot of the book deals with Katie trying to fit in with her new surroundings, seeing as Japanese high school is significantly different than American high school, her struggle is very well understood.

Things turn around for Katie though when she meets Tomohiro, a mysterious boy that all of Katie's friends beg her to stay away from. But Katie doesn't listen and eventually begins to fall for Tomohiro, creating an unbreakable bond between the two of them as friends, and as a couple. But Tomohiro has a secret ability , a secret that even he is unsure of, a deadly secret that could end up destroying him, and even Katie, forever.

Reasons why I LOVED Ink:

  • It takes place in Japan, so duh I loved it
  • Being a self-confessed romance hater, every once and a while there will be a couple in YA that really sticks with me, Tomohiro and Katie did just that
  • Tomohiro's ability is AWESOME and I want it 0_o
  • I love art, and the art within the book, as well as the amazing cover, I really appreciated
  • The ending was super intense and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SECOND BOOK!


Overall Ink received a well deserved 5/5 stars in my book, and I can't wait for the next book in the series! 
♚♚♚♚
Also, watch out for an interview with the author of Ink, Amanda Sun,coming sometime soon on the blog!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images