Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess

11:41 PM

Pages: 320
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
ISBN:  9781250000859
Genre: New Adult/Young Adult

Review by Geraldine

Synopsis (Goodreads.com):

Fantastically funny, fresh and utterly relatable, Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess is the first novel in her brand new series about five twenty-something friends—Pia, Angie, Julia, Coco and Madeleine—sharing a brownstone in hip, downtown Brooklyn, and discovering the ups and downs and ins and outs of their “semi-adult” lives. The first story belongs to sophisticated, spoiled, and stylish Pia, who finds herself completely unemployed, unemployable, and broke. So what is a recent grad with an art history degree and an unfortunate history of Facebook topless photos to do? Start a food truck business of course! Pia takes on the surprisingly cutthroat Brooklyn world of hybrid lettuce growers, artisanal yogurt makers and homemade butter producers to start SkinnyWheels—all while dealing with hipster bees, one-night-stands, heartbreak, parental fury, wild parties, revenge, jail, loan sharks, playboys, karaoke, true love, and one adorable pink food truck. And that's without counting her roommates' problems, too. Gemma Burgess has captured the confusion, hilarity and excitement of the post-graduate years against a backdrop of the pressures and chaos of New York City life, with heartfelt empathy, fast humor and sharp honesty.


My Thoughts (Spoiler-free):

I didn't know what to expect going into this book, because I've never heard of the author. Also, I haven't read that many books in the New Adult genre, because I'm skeptical about most of the books in this genre (so I was iffy about starting Brooklyn Girls). Surprisingly, this book exceeded my expectations and I ended up loving it!

First of all, the plot in this book was unlike any other, and I personally thought it was unique and very creative! I mean come on, a girl who buys a food truck in New York?! Such a brilliant idea on Gemma Burgess' part! As for the characters, think Sex and the City meets YA. I didn't think that the characters and plot were that scandalous considering it's in the New Adult genre. This was a good thing for me because when it comes to New Adult, I feel like some authors just add random, unnecessary, scandalous scenes that have no meaning to them; which Gemma Burgess didn't do making her different than the rest. 

There wasn't really anything to dislike about this book, I just wish the author dove into the characters a bit more...because I wanted more! But, wanting more is always a good thing right? Thankfully, I found out towards the end of the book that there is going to be some kind of companion, score!

Overall, this book was a light, quick, fun read that I really enjoyed! A perfect summertime read that will keep you on your toes until the very last page.

I'm looking forward to reading more by Gemma Burgess in the future! 4 stars!
♛♛♛

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images