Fair Coin by EC Meyers

5:56 PM


Pages: 286
Publisher: PYR
ISBN: 9781616146092
Genre: Young Adult

Review by Phil

Synopsis (Goodreads.com): An exciting adventure across parallel worlds! Ephraim discovers a strange coin that makes his wishes come true each time he flips it. His best friend becomes obsessed with the coin, and the world begins to change in unexpected ways.

My Thoughts (Spoiler-Free):
So I have been in a book slump for a while now. I really couldn’t decide what to read, and then I remembered I had Fair Coin. I knew it had something to do with a magical coin, and I knew that it had something to do with granting wishes. I also knew it was told from a male protagonist perspective; so I figured why not give it a shot?

While I didn’t love Fair Coin, I did really like it. The first half of the book was fast paced and gripping, keeping my attention and leaving me surprised at every turn. I really could relate to Ephraim, and I loved the weird on and off thing with Jena.

Then, halfway through the book is when it started to be not so amazing. The wishing became redundant, and the appearance of Mary and Shelley just got annoying. I also really didn’t like how Nathan went from being the best friend to worst enemy. Towards the end of the book EC Meyers redeemed himself though; the story was unpredictable and mysterious again. I am really looking forward to reading the sequel, Quantum Coin.

I would have to recommend Fair Coin to anyone really, but specifically for the teenage male audience. EC Meyers really captures the male voice, something that a lot of YA writers fail terribly at.

I gave Fair Coin 4/5 Stars!

♚♚♚

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images